Friday 11 January 2008

Return to Leicester

Yesterday was my birthday. It was also my uncle's funeral. So, we went back to the town of my birth, Leicester. Yes, we did view the body. It was a strange experience, he had been embalmed because of the long wait between his death and the funeral (he died just before Christmas) and seemed more like a wax-work model than a human being.

We had lunch at the Walker's Stadium, built on the site of the old power station. Another interesting experience. My father and grandfather had both worked at the power station and I was taken there to be shown off at 10 days old. Now it's Leicester City's home ground, yes I do support them, but fortunately we also have a rugby team!

The funeral was extremely moving. At the gathering afterwards it was a chance to meet up with family and friends who I hadn't seen for many years. One conversation involved my mother's youngest bridesmaid, to whom I had been bridesmaid, myself, and the mother of my youngest bridesmaid.

No comments: