Monday 7 January 2008

New Year

So, it's now 2008 and the New Year saw us on our way to Hastings. I'd never played there until I met John, now I wouldn't miss it. The original idea was that we both played in the New Year tournament, then I played at the weekend and John joined the arbiting team. On arrival, it turned out that there was an arbiter short at the weekend, so I agreed to join the team too.

First round, I won and John lost. Second round, I played one of the two top seeds and drew (John was the other top seed and he won his second game). In round three, John won again whilst I lost. Then, round four, I missed a win and managed to draw. John won again! Final round, a win would give John first, or at least a share of it, whilst a draw would give him a share of second or third and his opponent a guaranteed win. Despite John's best efforts, they drew. I, however, had an upfloat against a player I had never beaten before. My job was to win or draw, so that there would be fewer sharing John's prize. It was an interesting game with opposite side castling and lots of threats (some real, some imagined). I was offered a draw, and turned it down. I just felt that I could win it - not sure why, just a feeling. We went into an ending with me a pawn up, but I had to sack my rook for his past pawn. That left me with two passed pawns against his rook. Fortunately the pawns were well advances and once they both arrived on the seventh rank my opponent resigned. For once I was right to turn down the draw, John was joint second and I got a share of the grading prize. A successful few days.

No comments: