Thursday 17 January 2008

CCF v Wimbledon

Last night John and I played for the 6th team at CCF. I think that the whole team were outgraded on every board. John played a 130 player , 29 points above his grade, whilst I played a 118, 35 points above my grade. John, and the team, unfortunately lost. John tried a rook for knight sacrifice to blast his opponent's king open, it didn't work! I, however, managed to win. It was a strange opening and I was out of theory almost from the start. As we headed into the middle game I won a pawn, then, a little later on another one. Then a rook for a bishop. I should have felt confident then, but my opponent had a nasty attack on. He sacked his knight and if I had taken back in what appeared to be a logical way, either with my bishop or queen, I'm sure that mate would have ensued in the next few moves. Instead, I took back with the g pawn, opening my king up, but managing to side-step the worst of the attack and we finally went into the endgame with me a rook up.

No comments: