Thursday 6 March 2008

East Devon Congress continued


Saturday dawned bright and clear, even if I didn't! I'm not sure how little sleep I had, but it definitely wasn't enough. I arrived at the hall to find that my opponent was someone I had played a few times before and who I had a lot of respect for. It was never going to be an easy game, but I pushed a pawn in the middle game that I shouldn't have done and ended up going 2 pawns down. After that things got worse and resignation was the only option.

My afternoon opponent was an unknown entity to me. However, by then I was definitely feeling the lack of sleep, despite going out for a walk at lunchtime. Needless to say I blundered my way through the game, leaving pieces en prise for no good reason and, inevitably, losing. I was not happy, 1 out of 3 in a minor section is not what I expect of myself. By now I had decided that I was hopeless at chess and questioning why I was playing the game. John did his best to reassure, but we've all been there.

The evening was spent in a nearby Indian Restaurant (not surprisingly half full of chess players) followed by a good night's sleep.

No comments: