Tuesday 7 August 2007

A Weekend Without Chess

Although there was a weekend tournament that we could have entered, John and I took Saturday and Sunday off. On Saturday we hired a canoe and paddled our way along the River Waveney, 12 miles in all. Unfortunately mis-timing meant that we were paddling against the tide both on the way there and on the way back. To say that we ached at the end was putting it mildly. We also managed to get sunburnt.

On Sunday we drove up to Cromer. We arrived just in time to see a display by the lifeboat and had a good wander around the town, buying some Cromer crab for lunch on the way. Then we headed out to Sheringham Woods to eat our picnic. From there we drove over to Thursford where there is a museum of fairground organs, steam engines and 2 fairground rides (both of which we went on). At 3pm we were treated to a recital on the Wurlitzer organ - it was excellent.

Monday morning saw us playing in the U-100 section of the British Championships. I played a grade 20 and lost (I won't say what this has done to my grade, but it's not good). Last week he beat a 104 and a 110, so I shouldn't be too worried.

Today I had a very interesting game against a lady I had swindled a win from at Hastings. Today I didn't manage that, but, with seconds on her clock to the final time control she queened a pawn against my lone king. An exciting chase up the board followed. Finally, she went to pick up her king, but hesitated as she realised that to move it to the obvious square was stalemate. Too late, her flag fell and the game was drawn. A real get out of jail free.

No comments: