Friday 3 August 2007

Walking the Broads

Yesterday’s chess went well for both John and me. John drew, and, after spending the first two thirds of the game a knight for a pawn down, I won. It was also the most enjoyable game that I have had so far.

In the afternoon we went down to Chedgrave and walked along the River Chet. The water was much higher than usual and halfway along Hardley Flood it was flooded and we could go no further. However a treat was in store as shortly after we saw a family of water voles on the river bank. A little later we saw two herons flying past. It was good to get out into the countryside and get some exercise.

Today did not go so well for me. Having looked at the game since I made so many horrendous mistakes that it is a wonder I didn’t lose sooner than I did. I know that I wasn’t thinking for as long as in previous games and it showed. Lesson to be learnt – think hard and move slowly. Mind you, I am tired at the end of the week. Probably the reason why I do well at the start of tournaments and then peter out. John, however, drew and finished on 3 out of 5.

As both our games finished relatively quickly we had longer for sightseeing this afternoon. We went first to Surlingham Church Marsh, a small reserve beside the River Yare. There was a lovely circular walk around the reserve, with a hide overlooking the broad. Unfortunately the only birds that we saw were ducks and a moorhen. Then we drove on to Brundall Church Fen, an even smaller reserve. We again had a circular walk around the reserve.

Now we have the weekend free.

No comments: