Monday 16 April 2007

Hitchin & Letchworth Chess Congress

This weekend saw us travelling to Cambridge for a friend's son's christening. A lovely service in Sidney Sussex chapel - you really felt the historic atmosphere. It was good to meet up with my friend who I used to work with and who I hadn't seen since my wedding.

Instead of travelling straight home, we had decided to stay overnight in Stevenage and then play in the bottom section of the Hitchin and Letchworth one day rapidplay. As usual, on arrival at the chess congress, we began by checking the opposition out. Seeing the list of entrants I contented myself that the best that I could hope for would be a grading prize, if there was one. John was naturally more confident. The time control was an unusual one - 40 minutes each for all moves. I found that this suited me and led to some very enjoyable games. There was time for both myself and my opponent to think, so fewer cheap tricks and better chess.

I drew my first game and was relived, momentarily, that this would mean I wouldn't have to play the top seeds. Then saw that the top seed had also drawn. Fortunately, I didn't have to play him next, instead I got his opponent, and won. Then it was another draw, followed by a win against the top seed. I went into the final round being the only person on 3, with only John and the other tournament leaded ahead of me on 3.5. I won quickly (my opponent overlooked a smothered mate) and decided that this would give me either second or third. My maths had deserted me and when John and his opponent drew, John had to persuade me that I had come joint first! Sure enough, he was right, so joint celebrations were in order last night.

No comments: