Sunday 1 April 2007

Caterham Congress

I played in the U-100 section yesterday and today. 3 rounds yesterday, 2 today. I started off with a game which I won easily. Then, in the afternoon, a slightly tougher game, but I managed to get a 2 pawn advantage and swap off into an ending. The final game of the day was a very different story. I played black, against an opening that I know is critical, that I know that I should study and haven't, and that I lost to the last time I faced it. History repeated itself. Guess what I shall be studying next week! This morning I had a game which on paper I should have been ensured a win. However, my opponent threw everything at me and I ended up defending for my life. Fortunately he made a miscalculation and lost a minor piece. After that the position was such that swapping off was inevitable and I won, although really it should have been the other way round. The final game was against the tournament leader who was on 4/4. (Last week he beat a 160 so I knew that I would have my work cut out to win). Tactically he's very good and I managed to get into an awful mess and lost. It put me out of the prize money, but I enjoyed the game - at one point I took a pawn which I knew would lead to something nasty, but I couldn't see what, and as I was losing wanted to see the continuation. The good news was that our club came second in the club competition, so at least that was a consolation.

No comments: