Wednesday 21 March 2007

A Typical Day and Playing Bridge in France

Today was another typical day 'at the office'! These are the less interesting days, listing books on ebay. We had taken delivery of an order whilst we were away, so today was the day for putting new chess and bridge books onto the site. Some of the books looked interesting - but I don't have time to read them!

I played bridge once, on a ski holiday. There were 4 of us sharing an apartment and 2 were keen players, so each of them partnered each of us novices and we spent the evenings playing bridge whilst drinking cherry brandy and schnapps. I remember that by the halfway point of the evenings I didn't really mind what was in my partner's hand! I think my partner and I won most evenings, she had a high alcohol tolerance!

I played a lot of whist as a child - my grandparents played regularly and taught me when I was around 8. I think I've forgotten most of the tactics that I once knew, although I still enjoy the occasional game. My grandfather also taught me to play cribbage, and now John and I play when we're away camping. It's a good way to while away the evenings in the tent. We're similar standard and highly competitive, so it makes for some good games.

No comments: